Subject: Opening up data interchange formats (e.g., book catalogs)
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 14:06:14 +0900 (JST)

    Rich> A number of technical publishers, including O'Reilly, are
    Rich> getting into the topic of XML.  So, a while back, I spent an
    Rich> afternoon on the phone, asking AW, PH, ORA and such if they
    Rich> had XML versions of their catalogs online.  Nada.  No
    Rich> timelines, either.  If the technical and professional
    Rich> publishers aren't going to lead this charge, who will?

People who write their own interfaces.  EDICT (the free
Japanese-English dictionary) is already in XML format, precisely
because of the extensibility.  I imagine a lot of text databases will
do this.

But until browsers are supporting XML well (do any?), it's throwing
money down the tubes from the point of view of any individual company.