Subject: Re: EY invests in online patent exchange
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 21:33:56 -0400

> Perhaps what we need is a "Get Rich Quick by Software Patent
> Extortion" spam, which points to a web page listing 50 law firms
> that will assemble and pursue a software patent for you on
> speculation.  Perhaps that would sufficiently inconvenience big
> companies to reluctantly direct their legislators to dismantle
> software patents.

My thinking goes as follows.  Software patent law is controlled by a
balance of power.  The patent problem will get worse until the balance
of power changes, and then it will get better.  We have some control
over the rate it gets worse at.  If it gets worse slowly, it may get
much worse than if it gets worse quickly and is suddenly perceived as
a problem by the public.

The 'calm and reasoned discussion' approach has failed to affect the
balance of power.  A new approach is called for, and I propose
'Bugtraq' as the model.  Post those patent exploits.

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) http://lpf.ai.mit.edu