Subject: Re: The GPL is "inherited"
From: Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:17:50 -0700

On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 03:11:19PM -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Yes it will.  The idea is that you can limit certain very prominent
> kinds of trademark use to unmodified versions only.  The trademark
> uses that would be licensed for use in modified versions would be
> those in many other obscure places, which would be too much hassle to
> require people to check.

Richard,

Besides "unmodified versions", it would be nice to allow for

1. Certification programs. Comply 100% with my API and pass my
   regression test, and then you get to use my certification mark.

2. Revenue licensing. Pay the author something and get to use the mark.

Yes, I think direct-revenue-capture is OK as long as it's coupled to a
trademark and not the software license.

	Thanks

	Bruce