Subject: Re: brands, trademarks, and the GPL
From: "L. Peter Deutsch" <ghost@aladdin.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:31:16 -0700

> Note that even though you may grant use of "any future version", that does
> not prevent you from continuing to apply the existing GPL once a future
> version has been released.

True.  But it allows anyone *else* to apply any future version to your work
when they redistribute it.  If you want to keep the ability to control how
your work is licensed -- one of the few rights that developers CAN retain
over work distributed with the GPL -- you would be prudent to specify a
particular GPL version.

> Also, RMS has been very careful to consult the community regarding what
> would be an acceptable change in the GPL, and I expect him to continue to
> do so.

As would I.  But "the community" is not monolithic.  For example, as the
recent discussion shows, I and the AbiSource people might have different
opinions about the role of trademark than some of the other people on this
list.

--

L. Peter Deutsch         |       Aladdin Enterprises :::: ghost@aladdin.com
203 Santa Margarita Ave. | tel. +1-650-322-0103 (AM only); fax +1-650-322-1734