Subject: Re: Brand name aspirin
From: DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 19:01:33 -0400

> I saw two packages with the same dosage, same coating, and same
> count, that differed in price by over a factor of two.

One of the regular drugs I use is offered in many brands.  Same
ingredients, same dosage.  Same drug, yes?  No.  One works, the others
do not.  I don't know why.  I buy the known-working brand because I
trust it to work correctly for me, and I know that other "compatible"
brands simply don't work for me, and price has nothing to do with my
choice.

Besides, having worked in retail before, I can say that store's don't
put things on "special" for reasons you'd expect.  Other reasons for
specials: the store has too many, the distributor said so, we had
extra space in the latest flyer, it's about to be discontinued, etc.

Draw you own parallels to the software world ;-)