Subject: Re: GNU License for Hardware
From: Kristofer Coward <kris@snow.utoronto.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:35:19 -0400 (EDT)

> If you want credit for Linux, ask Linus to put your name in the
> CREDITS file (actually, I've just sent off an entry to him for you).
> Don't expect us to change the name of the operating system just to
> make you happy.

Forget credit.. one of the best reasons for calling it GNU/Linux is that
GNU is a particularly clever recursive acronym, and in that respect, a
good joke when used as the name of a Unix-like system. OTOH, as a joke, it
requires too much explanation to be any good when taken as the name for
some libraries, tools, etc. and a project. RMS went through all this
trouble to come up with a good joke (introducing the "'s" not in place of
the conventional "is not" was a rather clever trick) and now everyone's
telling it wrong.. no wonder he's upset :)
Of course, GNU/Linux isn't as funny as plain GNU, but a compromise had to
be made :P