Subject: Re: Interesting POV on free software licensing
From: craig@jcb-sc.com
Date: 15 Oct 1999 15:54:27 -0000

>the free software community has no reason to wish for the
>passage of UCITA.

No, but, should it pass (widely enough), there would be a glimmer of
opportunity that would result.

Specifically, it might help puncture much of the illusion the general
populace has concerning software (e.g. "free" software like MSIE),
leading to a much more negative view being widely held about software
sold over the counter and distributed via the Internet.

At which point our community can loudly (and more effectively today)
proclaim "if it ain't open source(TM), it ain't free software -- have
you looked under the hood of *your* software, or at its licensing
restrictions, today?" or some such thing.

No, not a reason to *wish* for UCITA to pass, I agree; not even to
stand by and *let* it pass.

        tq vm, (burley)