Subject: Re: Software quality: free vs. proprietary
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 20:29:49 +0900 (JST)

    Crispin> That's just a matter of time.  Free fonts used to be a
    Crispin> big problem for Roman type setting, too, but open source
    Crispin> and Aladdin took care of it.  Now you can get butt loads
    Crispin> of free fonts for Roman characters, including a new True
    Crispin> Type font server for X.

Wrong.  Most free fonts suck[1], even in Roman fonts.  Good ones do
exist, but they are few.  Some of the best are the ones contributed by
Adobe.  Getting matched ones (medium, italic, bold, bold-italic) is
really hard; for anything with more than 256 characters, getting even
the same weight from one character set to the next (Cyrillic to Latin,
say) is moderately unusual.

We haven't even started to discuss the hinting, yet.

Footnotes:
[1]  I can't see it unless it's shown to me, but I have friends who
hang out with professional typographers.