Subject: Re: [openip] Re: "rights" and "freedoms"
From: Ben_Tilly@trepp.com
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 08:53:08 -0400

RMS wrote:
> Insurance companies can work when the risks can be quantified.  The
> risk of being sued for patent infringement is probably very hard to
> quantify.

In support of this excellent point, I point to the fact that Lloyds of
London achieved success in the shipping industry due to their
invention of a way to quantify the risks of shipping.  Their innovation?
Load the ship full, draw a line where the water was, and set their
rates according to where the mark was.

Any attempt to insure anything likewise depends on figuring out
how to quantify risk factors, and then correlating that with the real
levels of risk.

Cheers,
Ben