Subject: Re: ways of funding
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@cse.ogi.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 20:00:41 +0000

Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Crispin Cowan wrote:
> > This seems to result in a majority of code being re-used, rather than a tiny
> > minority.  The fundamental difference is that GPL licensing of an entire
> > program encourages would-be developers to improve the original, rather than
> > re-invent the wheel *again* and *again*.
>
> Erm, only if the developers agree with the license or design of the
> original.  If either of those don't match, reinvention will occur.

True.

> NIH syndrome is just as strong in the open source community - have you see
> all the IRC clients there are out there?  Or browse around freshmeat
> sometime and look in almost any category; it's truly depressing how much
> reimplementation is going on.

This also is true.  It would be really nice if reimplementation could be further
reduced.  None the less, I think that Fresh Meat goes a long way towards reducing
reimplementation:  when I want something, first I look for one, and only if it
doesn't seem to exist do I write one.  If one does exist but doesn't get it
right, I'd rather hack it than reimplement it.  With open source I get the
choice.

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com