Subject: Re: Who holds the copyright? (was Re: The merger: a user's perspective)
From: "Bradley M. Kuhn" <bkuhn@ebb.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:28:47 -0500

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Bradley> Stan Shebs wrote:
>     >> Ah, very good point, I should have remembered about those.  In
>     >> the worst case, you'd end up with something like the Ghostcript
>     >> situation, where free versions lag proprietary, but even that
>     >> presumes that the company can develop faster and better than
>     >> the community.
>
>     Bradley> How do we know *any* of it will ever be released as free
>     Bradley> software if they become a proprietary software company.

> Because they can't take back the stuff that's already been released
> under GPL,

However, they can make it so that there is never a GPL version released
again from them.  And, if all the core developers work for them.....

This is worse case scenario, of course.  I am not saying it is *going* to
happen, just that it *could*, and is more likely than before.

> Not perfectly easy, but Stan covered that by mentioning a lag.

There is no guarantee nor requirement that they ever release the software as
free again if they hold the copyright.

--
         -  bkuhn@ebb.org  -  Bradley M. Kuhn  -  bkuhn@gnu.org  -
                          http://www.ebb.org/bkuhn