Subject: Re: Be and free software
From: DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:25:15 -0500

> You seem to be implying that "Free software" means "GPLed software".
> I doubt if many people would agree with such a narrow definition.

The GPL is just one example of free software; it is not the
definition.  Here is the definition (sort of):

Here is the definition of open source, for comparison:

http://www.opensource.org/osd.html

> BSD licensed software cannot become "non-free".  An accurate way to
> say this would be that the OSD allows for software licenses that
> permit proprietary changes.

Software that has proprietary changes is, by definition, no longer
free (as in freedom).  Free software doesn't allow proprietary
changes, and claims that is its strength.  Open yet non-free software
(like BSD) does allow proprietary changes, and claims that is its
strength.  Go figure.