Subject: www.oreilly.com -- Tangled Webs: What Gives Them the Right?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 12:53:32 +0900 (JST)

    Tim> You might find this article by Tim Romero, author of the
    Tim> Tangled Web newsletter, interesting.  It takes the
    Tim> software/auto industry analogy to some new levels,

New lows, indeed.

    Tim> and does a good job of making the case that the software
    Tim> industry claims IP protection that is way of line relative to
    Tim> other industries like the auto industry.

C'mon, you gotta be kidding.

The analogy is bogus, and the article is full of half-truths.
Microsoft Corporate Communications would be proud.

No question, there are problems with IP in the software industry.  But
the way to deal with it is not by spewing FUD like this.  The problems
are hard ones.

The solution Romero proposes may be the right one, for all I know.
I'm just sick of this analogy, and basing policy on it will make the
whole industry sick too.