Subject: Re: Order entry application user group
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 02:01:59 -0500

Bernie Thompson <bernie@cosource.com> writes:
> How do I participate in and get a project to do what I need if I
> don't have time or expertise to contribute?  What's the market
> mechanism (dollars <--> product) for getting what I want cost
> effectively?

The piece I don't think you've addressed is when the software is
boring enough or time-consuming enough or both that you can't find
volunteers to work on it.  And $1K is certainly a volunteer price.

Let's imagine Tim's project will cost $100K for the highest value
programmers he can find to work on it.  Will your incentive and
contractual system work when the payments are $10K, made by the most
profit-maximizing, free-rider-dumping payers out there?

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) http://lpf.ai.mit.edu