Subject: Re: Order entry application user group
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 15:20:11 -0500

Kragen writes:
> The doubters said [...]

Do I assume correctly that your implied conclusions are: Volunteers
will develop competitive entries in all software product categories?
Volunteerism will grow from its small percentage of programmer effort
to subsume all of software?  Volunteerism will spill out of software,
and people will dig ditches for the fun and the glory?  I don't find
that scenario especially convincing.  Seems to me the world tried that
system in full generality, and it failed.

However, some portions of that system seem to function in some areas
where the work is especially fun, and I'd prefer to use them if I can.
I want my application now, and I'm willing to pay for it.  How many of
the free software properties and goals can I retain while paying the
programmers real money, and charging it back to users?

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) http://lpf.ai.mit.edu