Subject: Re: Open Source and Government agencies
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@wirex.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 18:20:11 +0000

"Kevin S. Van Horn" wrote:

> 1. Public domain software *is* free software.  You can't get any freer than
>    public domain, which places no restrictions whatsoever on you.  And PD
>    software is guaranteed to remain free, forever (although derived works
>    might not remain free).
>
> 2. The fact that someone creates a proprietary derived work from a piece of PD
>    software does not in any way diminish the usefulness and availability of
>    the original software.  It remains just as useful and available as before.

No.  Stop.  Cease and desist.

We have already had the BSD vs. GPL flame wars here, and don't want them again.

Disclaimer:  I am not making any assertions about which model is better.  You
there; yes, you.  Put that flame thrower down and get back to work :-)

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com
Free Hardened Linux Distribution:                 http://immunix.org