Subject: Re: street performer protocol
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 01:07:00 -0400

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:

> More seriously, the main mental block I've had in pricing is the
> temptation to set prices based on costs.  Especially when you're
> selling free software, you should price based on value to the
> customer.  It's not wrong to charge $100,000 for something which it
> will cost you $5000 to deliver.  The customer gets value for money.
> You get money to invest in improving the product.

What about the customer who is generally as informed about software
development costs are you are?  How do you convince him he's getting a
good deal?  If you price it high enough, he might commission a
workalike, and he knows how to price that workalike.  And when word
gets out that you use this pricing method, what does that do for your
reputation?  How hard do future sales become?

"Sorry Bill, don't want your crappy 'Windows' on your crappy terms,
we're going to write a Unix from scratch.  Go away."

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) http://lpf.ai.mit.edu