Subject: Re: Caldera will publish DR DOS source code
From: petav@argon.e20.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Peter Averkamp)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 22:24:05 +0200

On Sep 20,  7:08, "L. Peter Deutsch" wrote:

I double most of what you wrote. Getting DOS source these days is no
big deal - regarding the fact that it has been around for some years as
a russian incarnation "PTS-DOS". A fairly well-written Turbo ASM source
clone of DOS up to 6.21. I have it here on my desk.

But I think there is more life on this planet:
Caldera Web Site says:
----snip----
"In Spring 1997, Caldera will release Caldera OpenDOS, the first
commercial-grade, open-source code DOS product. Caldera OpenDOS will build upon
its predecessors (CP/M, DR DOS and Novell DOS 7) by adding Novell Personal
NetWare , bug fixes to Novell DOS 7 and additional networking capabilities.
Potential technologies under consideration include a graphical user interface
(GUI); Internet web browser; TCP/IP stack; and other Internet connectivity
services. This aggressive update to DOS will leverage internal and third-party
development."
----snip----
This looks like some de-facto APIs they want to bring to the 'market'.
I still miss the days of the ultra-lightweight GEM GUI. Didn't Digital Research
sell it to Novell also? Where is it now? I know that the Tramiels bought all
rights for 68000 and derivatives just to screw up the source big time,
but who owns the '86 rights now?

My point is: Why cry for OLE and all that crap that sucks? 99% of all the
typical W95 users do not even know what all the fancy looking, (but for my
taste much too bulky) API's and ABI's are for. End users want the function,
not the API. Communication can, e.g. well go through a nicely optimized
winsock.dll; which Microsoft did not invent.

So yes, you are right, there is no free Word processor like MS-Word (Yet).
But there's the FAT :^) chance: if sun ever manages to make java less
clumsy, like e.g. integrating tk functionality, there is a nice potential
market for a wordprocessor applet. And I mean not yet another superfluous
thing to congest the net, but a portable working tool to make use
of a universal API that is even already half there.

Given the horrible performance of the MS-tools to compete against, It should
be possible to rewrite the functionality in a semi-interpreted environment
without a truckload of tricks.(BTW, How much is a Wordperfect Source License?)

Again, I agree that the free software community has failed in
'creating user-attractive applications in any significant numbers', but it
has nothing to do with MS being so dominant; The problem was and is, that
writing applications well takes too much time to do it unpaid. I am convinced
that a reasonable amount of Money could do wonders there. If Ray Noorda is
willing to pull this together (i.e. pay people to write apps), Caldera has
definitely a chance. The number of disappointed MS customers rises daily.

  Peter