Subject: Re: [open-source] [Fwd: [icecast-dev] Xiph.org announces Vorbis Beta 4 and the Xiph.org Foundation]
From: Simon Cozens <simon@netthink.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 20:47:41 +0000

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 08:08:36PM +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Yes, there is a difference between Ogg-Vorbis and Apache: they need to
> gain market-share, we already have it (and keeps rising!). But is this a
> real difference?

No, there's a much bigger difference: Ogg Vorbis is an implementation of a new
algorithm, a new protocol, whereas Apache implements an already-widely-used
protocol. Right now, nobody's going to cry (except the Ogg developers and the
not-entirely-huge number of users) if Ogg Vorbis went away. They'd continue
using MP3, even though it's royalty-encumbered. If HTTP went away, all hell
would break loose.

So, in the interests of establishing an open standard and freeing people from
royalty-encumberance, it makes sense to make Ogg Vorbis as free (in terms of
freedom of *use*) as possible while retaining its freedom. (in terms of
ensuring the propagation of free software.)

The move from GPL to BSD represents a *partial* (and these *are* points on a
continuum, don't get me wrong) shift of emphasis from the latter type of
freedom to the former.

I don't see how you can apply an argument like the above to Apache.

Simon

--
<Citizen_X> I detest people who get in their cars before turning off the
alarm, fiddle around a bit, and then turn it off