Subject: Re: Microsoft: Closed source is more secure
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 01:26:12 -0400 (EDT)

Lynn Winebarger writes:
 >      Now, I know, qmail has its adherents, and Russ Nelson,
 > notably, provides support for it.  Presumably they have found its
 > virtues worth investing their time on.  Of course, Russ consults on
 > qmail, so one can guess that his time investment gaining expertise
 > in the details of qmail is well-spent.  I, and I assume many (but
 > not all) sysadmins out there, do not have that luxury.  I'm not
 > saying other free mail server implementations (or BIND) are really
 > easy to use and troubleshoot, or add features to.

Exactly.  A complicated email system is hard to install and
troubleshoot.  There is no way around that.  At least with qmail, the
software does what the man pages say, and ONLY what the man pages
say.  No undocumented remote debug-as-root options.

>  But at least I'm
 > pretty sure that if it came to that, either the maintainers of the
 > software would have some interest in incorporating my work
 > (depending on quality) or I would have the option of forking if I
 > disagreed with their evaluation or if there were some political
 > game being played.  Either way, my attempt to contribute and my
 > needs (or the needs of my employer) get a fair shake.

Feel free to contribute.  http://www.qmail.org contains many people's
contributions.  So does http://www.djbdns.org, but fewer so because
it's only a little over a year old.  If you don't like their
contributions, well, you should feel free to fork them, and produce
your own.  As so many free software developers have had to say in the
past, "send code."

--
-russ nelson will be speaking at http://www.osdn.com/conferences/handhelds/