Subject: Re: Brett Glass on MS/GPL
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap@eros-os.org>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 07:19:18 -0400

[Original note posted on Farber's "interesting people" list]

[Brett Glass wrote:]
> >Microsoft is not arguing against the sharing or giving
> >away of code, but rather against the GPL, which is intended
> >to turn shared code into a weapon against the interests of
> >legitimate software businesses and even the programmers who
> >wrote it.

As opposed to, say, predatory and monopolistic licensing practices, which
are supposed to turn unshared money into a weapon against the interests of
legitemate software businesses, programmers, and the population at large.

Or as opposed to, say, manipulating market perceptions by releasing
low-function products in a competitor's area in order to lower the share
price of the competitor as a first step to acquisition, using sheer size as
a weapon against everyone and cheating the shareholders of the acquired
company in the process.

Clearly I don't agree with Brett about GPL, but whatever our respective
views of open source may be, his defense of Microsoft on these grounds
demands loud objections.

Jonathan S. Shapiro