Subject: Re: Opportunity lost? Challenge declined!?
From: Steve Mallett <steve@opensourcedirectory.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 08:10:24 -0300

[snip]
"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

> True, there is a need.  But should serving that need be in the charter of
> this list?  Especially when their goal is almost certainly not "free,"
> and never will be?  I think that the problem of running a business
> based on free (by the strict definition) software is interesting,
> important, and relevant to enough developers to deserve its own list.
> That's what FSB is, right?
>
> We need a separate list for the purpose of encouraging movement toward
> openness by people who are starting from proprietary.  I wish the term
> "open source" hadn't been coopted as a marketing ploy.  It's the
> perfect name: "Open Source Software Business."  Maybe "Published Source
> Software Business" is a good enough alternative?

As a lurker on this list I think there may be some merit to the idea of
a seperate list for handholding.  If I'm not out of line here, I find
this list (for as long as I've been monitoring it) most adapt at harsh?
and critical analysis of current events & issues and sometimes each
other.  A good thing.

Forgive the analogy, but perhaps with a new handholding/education
focused list those coming from the proprietary world would have a more
positive experience with a retail (How can we help you?) vs boardroom
list.

The newbies are coming....

--
Steve Mallett