Subject: Re: Opportunity lost? Challenge declined!?
From: Glen Starchman <glen@enabledventures.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 08:05:00 -0700

> Then "Eureka"! How's this for a model:

<snippety-snip>

I *think* that things might be even simpler than what has been suggested in the
original post. Essentially what the GPL says is that anyone who receives your
work also receives the same rights that you do, that is: the rights to modify
and redistribute the work. However, if we were to analyze this a bit further we
would find that the "rights" of the original developer(s) also included the
"right" to spend blood, sweat, tears, time, and *money* in the creation of the
original. Henceforth, any person or organization should also incur those
"rights".

At some point the rights given in the GPL become a moot point. A typical end
user most likely doesn't *care* about the ability to modify the source code. In
this respect, the GPL is much more for developers than for consumers.