Subject: Re: OT-ness and a new list? (Was: Opportunity lost?...)
From: Adam Theo <adamtheo@theoretic.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:43:56 -0400

Hello, Adam Theo here;

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:
    Whether FSB members "should" want to participate in such lists
    would depend on their personal goals and the topic of the list.

oh, yes, certainly.

    I would imagine most enthusiasm would be for (a) a newbie's list
    (cf Tim O'Reilly's posts) and (b) a "near-free" license list with
    discussion focused on just how few restrictions you need to add to
    a given free license to make a living, while still distributing
    source to as many developers as possible, and permitting
    modification and redistribution as much as possible.

sounds good to me. i would love to host these two lists. i think the
newbie's list is a great idea, and the near free one could produce a
lot of interesting discussion and help to make "more or less open
source" more attractive to everyone who currently develops closed
source.

what to call them (whether i host them or not.)? my domain name is
theoretic.com, but i also own two other domain names:
ViewableSource.org, and FreedomSource.org (i am not entirely sure why,
about a year ago i just thought of them and decided it would be a good
idea to own them in case i wanted to use them.). i persoanlly would
prefer to use theoretic.com, since this is exactly the sort of thing i
plan theoretic to be for, and am in fact looking for buyers of the two
other domains, since i now i know i have no purpose to use them.

but anyway, using whatever domain name, what about list names?
"newbie-oss", "near-oss"? any other ideas?
--
   /\    --- Adam Theo ---
  //\\   Theoretic Solutions (www.Theoretic.com)