Subject: Re: a model of competition between free and proprietary software
From: Seth Gordon <sethg@ropine.com>
Date: 21 May 2001 02:53:29 -0000

   [Ian Lance Taylor:]
   One potential problem with this analysis is that it appears to assume
   that developer-hours are more or less equivalent.  But in the present
   state of the art in computer programming, that is not true....

I think my analysis applies to programmer-quality as much to
programmer-quantity.  If F is either very useful or "cool", then
bright people will want to hack on it.  If P's sponsor is well-funded
(or spends its funds wisely), it can afford to hire good programmers.

   You seem to disregard QA....

   You seem to disregard the auxiliary stuff which P can provide, like
   professional documentation and packaging, things which F is likely to
   lack especially in the early going.

I used the term "developers" rather than "programmers" because I
wanted to consider QA staff, writers, people who build RPMs, and other
contributors as "developers".  I would also consider the quality of
the documentation, packaging, and QA to be aspects of the quality of
the package as a whole.

--
"Rav would never cross a bridge when an idolator was on it; he said, 'Maybe he
will be judged and I will be taken with him.'  Shmuel would only cross a