Subject: Re: Studies
From: Kragen Sitaker <kragen@dnaco.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 14:02:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Chris Maeda wrote:
> The Forbes and ComputerWeek types probably think that
> free software is much more expensive than proprietary
> software.  Free software only seems to work in niches
> that are too small to support proprietary vendors. Once
> a market gets big enough, the superior economics
> (cheaper for users, more profits for vendors) of the
> proprietary model always win.

Well, I would argue that the GNU utilities disprove this by their
existence and tremendous popularity.  Also, many proprietary OS vendors
have thrived in markets much smaller than the three-million-or-so-user
Linux market share; most commercial Unices, for example.

I've heard enough horror stories from Linux/NT/95 admins to convince me
that the cost-of-ownership is not higher with free software.

Perhaps someone from Cygnus would have a more informed perspective than
mine, however, given that they are the ones who have the best business
view of the GNU development toolchain.  Do any of them still read the
list, I wonder?

Kragen