Subject: Re: As if the DMCA wasn't bad enough
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 23:59:38 +0200

I see

Of course, there is a link between this and other forms of
intellectual property.

  Typically, the next step is to refuse to licence technology to
manufacturers in other places of the world who do not abide by these
rules, so as to make sure the US law is imposed worldwide.

  Now, for those of us who are not US "citizens", we know what we have
to point out to policy makers who think they have a right to choose
their notional policies independently.

  Larry Lessig was never so right ... and so was, much earlier,
Richard Stallman when he wrote "The road to Tycho" (and I thought he
was exagerating, and maybe he did not believe it himself).

...  on the other hand (as happened with cryptography), if other
countries refuse to adopt such measures, this could kill the US
hardware economy, since US harware will be rejected by foreign
markets.
  That is actually a good line of defense ... someone's wallet,
as usual.

   Bernard

PS BTW Lynn, in case it becomes urgent, I already enquired whether you
can get political asylum in Europe.

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 04:33:51PM -0500, Lynn Winebarger wrote:
> On Saturday 08 September 2001 15:06, Bernard Lang wrote:
> > PS why do you assume that Republicans and Democrats agree on this
> > proposal ... I did not see it in the article.
> >
>      Well, the DMCA was passed 99-0 in the senate in '98, passed
> overall by a Republican Congress and a Democrat President.
>      More importantly, the supporters of this type of legislation have
> deep pockets, and it's spun as a moral rights issue rather than an
> implementation of public policy solely to further the progress of the
> arts and sciences.  It's much easier for the proponents to spin a
> simple-minded moral issue (theft) than opponents to discuss the proper
> balance of public and private interests in the tradeoff that is
> copyright, particularly in the age of the soundbyte.
>
> Lynn

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX