Subject: Re: the .NET battle ends
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:12:19 +0900

    Ben> Pardon me for looking at that prospect and believing that
    Ben> Microsoft is trying to look like they are giving away a lot,
    Ben> but expects to cede somewhere between zip and nothing.

False.  Microsoft has ceded the principle, which means protecting the
practice will be very expensive, both in reputation as they get caught
weaseling and spin control PR expense.  Eg, my _mother_ asked me what
the relation between FreeBSD and Linux was, and why Microsoft couldn't
use NT at Hotmail.  (She didn't ask why they lied, she's a history
major and could figure that out for herself.)  Those expenses gives us
some leverage.

True, they'll do their best to make sure nobody else wins from it.
But that's not the same as ceding nothing.

Anyway, taking the longer view, if we aren't fighting for principle,
what _are_ we fighting for?  This is a victory, make no mistake.

    Ben> And it is very cleverly done so that it will be very hard for
    Ben> people who understand what is going on to explain to
    Ben> non-technical people exactly why this gesture is meaningless.

What else is new?