Subject: Re: Free Software in Embedded Systems (was Re: Studies)
From: Braddock Gaskill <braddock@braddock.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 16:46:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, James Horton wrote:
> One cellular phone number, 50 embedded systems tranmitting and receiving
> information.........
>
> Very low cost and featuring many ported standard unix utilities.
>
> The kernal was custom, due to funky memory organization on the DSP.
>
> The DSP was a standard TI low end chip. Most of the code was written
> in C.

I was wondering if the TI DSP chip you're talking about happens to be in
the TI TMS32Cxx family.  I'm sure it would be a good gesture if
your company would release the custom Unixy kernel as Free Software
since it has obviously benefited from thousands of hours of the
FS communities time.

If it's released under the GNU GPL then your company will also benefit
from all the improvements that the community is likely to make on it,
so you'll get free kernel upgrades and likely documentation.

Plus free publicity, in addition to having the company name associated
with a widely distributed software package.  The Free Software Union
has a publicity officer who could send out press releases, and we
would be willing to post your company's name in big letters on all
the appropriate *.announce newsgroups and mailing lists.

I happen to be involved in a project with that TI
DSP chip and it would certainly be useful to me, as I'm sure many
other developers, to have a Free Software Unixy kernel for it.

		-Braddock Gaskill
		VP, Free Software Union
		http://www.fslu.org