Subject: Re: Ransom (long) (was: Mandatory donations...)
From: Adam Theo <adamtheo@theoretic.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 03:38:58 -0400

Karsten M. Self wrote:

 > The proposed licese by Theo could not be used, however, to distribute
software in advance of securing the ransom, if third-party GPLd code
 > were involved.

Correct. I now realize this problem when dealing with the standard GPL.
Thus, I'm making the distinction now between "Shared Ransom", where the
code can be distributed under shareware-like terms before the Ransom is
fully paid, and "Advanced Ransom", where the code cannot be distributed,
and the full payment must be made up-front (such as with the GPL).

Karsten M. Self wrote:
 > Of itself, ransomed coded is actually a practice in use.  I know several
 > people who've written mods to GPLd code, advertised same, and requested
 > payment.

Excellent! Do you remember any cases of this? I'm wanting to completely
document these growing stages of Ransom, as an experiment log, of sorts.
Others, similar cases would be very helpful in developing this model
further.