Subject: Re: Explanation of copyleft ransomware model
From: Zimran Ahmed <zimran_ahmed@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 06:48:36 -0700 (PDT)

--- Norbert Bollow <nb@thinkcoach.com> wrote:

> The code
> becomes completely Free as soon as I've sold 100
> copies.

Now I see what you mean. I would not call this
"ransoming" at all. I would call it selling
proprietary code (ideally through versioning) and then
deciding to open-source it. the only difference is
there's some sort of guarantee that the code will be
liberated down the line. And you are quite right, this
(all versioning) is not compatible with the GPL.

What I meant when I talked about ransoming code was
exactly that. You held code (or development work) to
ransom, collected the ransom through however many
contributors, and then released the code under the
GPL. This is fully compatible with the GPL.

-zimran

=====
human-computer interaction over the next 25 years:
http://www.winterspeak.com