Subject: Re: ESR
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap@eros-os.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 19:16:27 -0400

> I'd be more comfortable if he talked a lot about the weaknesses in
> open source engineering practices and software -- and how they might
> be improved.

Your point is well taken, and I also feel that this framing would have been
more useful.

However, it is difficult to talk about "open source engineering practices"
when there isn't any single position. One might talk about "engineering
practices of the core linux team" or "engineering practices of the GCC team"
or "engineering practices of the EROS project" and get radically different
statements and viewpoints. The first is variable depending on the sub-group.
The second was quite good while in Cygnus hands, deplorable during EGCS, and
is now showing signs of return. The last exceeds the process standards of
any other open source effort I know about -- though my knowledge of open
source engineering practices is certainly not exhaustive.

It is very difficult for ESR to speak of something that does not exist in
any coherent way.

Jonathan