Subject: Re: FW: Why would I pay for Ximian software?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: 25 Dec 2001 18:13:28 +0900

    Kevin> One exists.  It is calling us... can't you hear it?

No.  I can hear Karl's voice, as he writhes in the flames to which he
was consigned by Vladimir Ilyich and Josef.  I can hear Thomas and Ben
looking at the DMCA and screaming "but that's _not_ what we meant."

    Kevin> It is becoming more and more obvious that we need a payment
    Kevin> system which is based on merit

Huh?  Man, that is the goose that lays the golden egg for capitalism.
It's not a new problem, in the form stated here it goes back at least
400 years, and probably you can find something in Confucius.  The best
solution (technically) that has so far been found is called "the
entrepreneur" (aka "rapacious robber baron").

The last major innovation in this field is called "intellectual
property."  Not only is the defining statement (Article I, Section
8.8) over 200 years old, but the fate of intellectual property in the
hands of "entrepreneurs" should give you pause for thought while
constructing your Reputation system.