Subject: Re: Why would I pay for Ximian software?
From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 17:14:56 +0000

"Perry E. Metzger" wrote:

> Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk> writes:
> > The impossibility was caused by a required component that I simply
> > couldn't find the source for. So I guess not. I'd be interested to know
> > whether anyone has built it from source?
>
> It is trivial to build Evolution using tools like the FreeBSD/NetBSD
> package system (which is designed to automatically build huge amounts
> of software from source.)

I don't like being forced to use packaging systems, for several reasons:

a) They have an annoying habit of moving things around and changing
things slightly, so they are incompatible with builds made outside the
packaging system

b) They have been known to introduce security holes into otherwise clean
packages.

c) Because of a) they hamper my ability to contribute patches.

> I'm not sure it would be pleasant to build
> without such a system.

I can testify to its unpleasantness - it depends on a vast number of
other packages.

Cheers,

Ben.