Subject: x-box competition
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 04:16:05 -0800 (PST)

Sony puts linux in the living room.

	http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-30-2002/0001658223&EDATE=

I quite like the spirit and "realisticness" of:

  targeted toward the Linux development community in North America.
  Designed as a hobbyist development environment, users can not only run
  the wide variety of computer applications written for the Linux
  operating system, but also create original programs

Not that I expect them to make a mint with this -- but it's the right
general idea.

Editorial: RH needs a media-box partner.

BTW: can someone explain to me the *technical* distinction, in this
day and age, between operating systems for embedded systems and
operating systems for personal computers?  By "embedded systems", I
don't mean MMU-less CPUs in your car or your industrial robot -- but,
rather, those OSs which are presumed to be the reason why "the desktop
is dead".  Is it purely a market distinction with no technical basis
whatsoever, or am I missing something?  On the one hand, when I hear
FSB execs tout embedded systems, I think "yeah, those guys are on the
right track" -- and on the other hand, I think: "those guys really
don't understand the software they're peddling."

-t