Subject: Re: Free Software vs. Open Source
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 03:37:13 -0700 (MST)

      It seems to me that, if the FSF were to use this
    description for the open source movement rather than the somewhat
    inflammatory and less accurate one it currently uses

Our way of describing the open source movement is accurate, as you can
easily confirm by checking www.opensource.org.  It is not inflamatory,
because it does not condemn the open source movement, but it does
point out the disagreement between them and the free software
movement: they say that proprietary software is legitimate, although
unfortunate.

We have to make it clear that we disagree, or people will think that
we agree with all that the open source movement says, which means they
will misunderstand our position;