Subject: Re: UnixTeX business lessons
From: ghost@ALADDIN.COM (L. Peter Deutsch)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 93 15:52:17 PDT

> > The lesson I would draw from the UnixTeX experience is ...
>
> You need to do a lot of outreach (sales & mktg) to people beyond the
> net, because you can't move money over the net yet.

I didn't need to do this.  I distributed copylefted software on the
net for 2 1/2 years and got tremendous penetration and name
recognition.  When I expanded into the commercial world, it only took
about a year for the word to spread far enough by word-of-mouth for
me to get up to a healthy volume of inquiries (and customers).

Let's hear more experiences....

L. Peter Deutsch :: Aladdin Enterprises :: P.O. box 60264, Palo Alto, CA 94306
ghost@aladdin.com, ...decwrl!aladdin!ghost ; voice 415-322-0103 ; fax 322-1734
	    "Implementation is the sincerest form of flattery."