Subject: Re: Chaordic Commons
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: 29 Jun 2002 11:58:37 +0900

    Scott> One possibilty would be for a person to create an
    Scott> organization (remember the grateful dead were the "front
    Scott> men" for the entire organization which consisted of
    Scott> promotions, operations, management, etc.)  which enables
    Scott> them to use their knowledge and understanding of the
    Scott> software to create an ongoing support, installation and
    Scott> maintenance business for the software.  Red Hat follows
    Scott> this model.

Exactly.  But "been there, done that."  We know how to make a Linux
distro; doing it better than Red Hat would make you money, but that's
going to be hard (says a die-hard Debian fan!)

But what do you do if your thing is Schoenberg on the pennywhistle,
not live blues jam, and only a few connoiseurs "get it"?  That's Jack
Morhous's question, if I read it right, and I think it's a good one.

The thing is, I think that people would be willing to pay by the
upgrade for bullet proof drivers for their own video boards, but would
balk at paying for _other people's board's drivers_.

Russ, care to say something about the packet driver market in this
connection?