Subject: Re: Donation models
From: L.Jean Camp <jean_camp@harvard.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 22:30:43 -0400

Sorry to have a delayed response but I think this is one article many of
you may have missed.

On Wednesday, July 3, 2002, at 05:06 PM, Benjamin J. Tilly wrote:

>  It is also selfish to spend your money on buying things
> for yourself.  The best-known philosophy which says that people should
> not be selfish is communism.  The best-known philosophy which says that
> it is GOOD to allow people some selfishness is capitalism.

> Strangely enough, the current consensus is that allowing selfishness to
> persist to at least some extent winds up with pretty much everyone
> better off.  To what extent is a thorny political question, but most
> people agree that allowing at least some capitalism is a Good Thing.

So, why is capitalism a good thing? Under what conditions does
capitalism yield the best possible results?

I still think that the best place to begin that argument is here:
Delong and Froomkin (1997) " The Next Economy?" Internet Publishing and
Beyond: The Economics of Digital Information and Intellectual Property.
Edited by B Kahin and H Varian. Cambridge, MA MIT Press

http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/newecon.htm

One of the important things he talks about is _why_ markets are
valuable.  These points would be valuable to the donation discussion -
what he calls the NPR model.

-Jean