Subject: RE: EU REPORT CALLS FOR WIDESPREAD OPEN SOURCE ADOPTION
From: "Feller, Joe" <JFeller@afis.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:10:46 +0100

Karsten M. Self wrote:
> that's Tim O'Reilly's "gated
> source" idea from a ways back.
>
> It's a halfway there solution.  It wears very uneasily with me, and I
> feel it breaks some fundamentals of the free software dynamic.

I didn't see Tim's post, but there is a growing trend within industry
towards emulating fs/oss collaborative dynamics behind the firewall - HP for
example calls their program "progressive source," which moves from
"corporate source" (intranet) to "controlled source" (extranet) to "open
source" (internet) over time and depending on the nature of the project.
They're not alone - just look at the client list of VASoftware and
Collab.net for evidence of corporate interest in emulating fs/oss dynamics
without adopting fs/oss license structures.

No, it's not free software, or open source software, but IMO it is not
necessarily all bad - rather it is a very encouraging validation of the
effectiveness of the fs/oss development model.  And for a company like HP,
with 80,000 employees and an incredibly diverse range of internal and
customer oriented software projects, it just might yield something good.

Cheers,

Joe

Joseph Feller, PhD
Business Information Systems