Subject: Re: Open Source shareware?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:35:27 +0900

    Adam> I do.  The "organization large enough to devote a
    Adam> significant amount of money" in this case is the Perl
    Adam> community, casually estimated at 1,000,00 people worldwide.

And the only thing that many people can agree on is "money for Larry
Wall is a good thing."  That is a "community of the dead obvious," not
an organization.

Organizations are for making decisions about things that 1,000,000
people do _not_ have a consensus about.  Organizations are for
obtaining and convserving resources in the face of rivals who believe
_they_ have better claim on those resources.  FSBs _are_ organizations
in that sense, so I think it's the relevant one here.