Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: corbet-fsb@lwn.net (Jonathan Corbet)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:24:15 -0600

> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <steve@tleepslib.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>:
>     Rich> What is the essential difference between Tim's publishing a
>     Rich> Linux book that includes a Linux CD and RedHat publishing a
>     Rich> Linux CD distribution that includes a Linux book?
>
> Support.  O'Reilly is a book publishing company.  None of those great
> authors are on retainer in case a reader has a problem with the CD.

As an O'Reilly author, I get a fairly steady stream of questions, via
O'Reilly, from people who have trouble making the example code work, or who
just want somebody to help them get their work done.  O'Reilly may not sell
support as part of its business, but O'Reilly's customers do seem to expect
a certain level of response.  The commercial support is left up to the
authors, I guess.

And hey, Linux Device Drivers is even available for download and
redistribution under the FDL.  Various other O'Reilly books are similarly
available.  You're sure O'Reilly isn't an FSB?

jon

(who has avoided adding Eklektix/LWN to the list because, after all, the
request was for *successful* FSBs...)

Jonathan Corbet
Executive editor, LWN.net
corbet@lwn.net