Subject: RE: A few here may have an opinion on this
From: Rob Walker <rob@myinternetplace.net>
Date: 26 Oct 2002 17:55:50 -0700

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 05:41, Wendel de Joode, Ruben wrote:
> A third example in which it is hard to relate prize to value is free
> software. Because it does not create any revenue, it automatically is
> valueless... I do not think so! I think a lot of people and companies
> using open source or free software would be quite willing and are indeed
> willing, to pay a high prize for free software, but why would they do
> so, if it's available for free?

I understand that it wouldn't be completely accurate to determine the
value of something solely based on its' replacement cost, but what does
the replacement cost of Free Software look like?  I mean, would it make
sense for Yahoo to put down the numbers for the money they don't spend
every year on proprietary software?  Maybe not on their balance sheet,
but maybe somewhere else?

rob