Subject: My general advice (for what it's worth)
From: "Russell Nelson" <nelson@CRYNWR.COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1993 15:45:42 EST

There's a LOT of people on this list, a lot more than the existing
free software businesses.  I'm guessing that people want to know how
to start a free software business.

My general advice is to go out there and write some free software
that saves people money.  If it doesn't save money, they're not
likely to want to pay you anything for it.  Make it clear that they
don't have to pay you for the software, but if they need you, you'll
be there for them.  That means being professional in every way.  Make
the software polished.  Make your services polished.  Market the
software!

Even if you decide that you do not want to be a businessman, your
marketing efforts will have made your name visible.  Any business in
your field will love to hire you.  I have at two standing job offers;
one of the parties pesters me every time I see him.

What software to write?  Hang out on the Usenet .wanted groups.  Look
for patterns.  Example: a free NFS client for MS-DOS.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> What canst *thou* say?
Crynwr Software           Crynwr Software sells packet driver support.