Subject: Re: $1,250
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:13:33 -0800

   Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:40:07 -0800 (PST)
   From: Tom Lord <lord@emf.net>

   By _should_, I was expressing a mix of probability and logical
   necessity mixed with uncertainty which I very briefly explained in
   terms of costs and potential rewards; in retrospect, you seem to think
   I was expressing some kind of metaphysical exhasperation about
   circumstances beyond my control.  The verb voice of "would be" should
   have clued you in.

Ahh, I see now that I was wrong, and that you are right. (In case you
misinterpret the tone of that statement, imagine me speaking dryly,
with a certain lack of humor.  My expression is neither dark nor
happy, simply bland and bored.)

   It's a bit as if, while watching a football game, I remarked "They
   should throw a pass near the sidelines in this situation (because
   the game clock is running low)" and you replied by launching into a 30
   minute lecture that starts with "Why should they do _that_?  Just
   because _you_ say so?"

It is a bit like that.  Of course, your remarks are not made once, and
in a vacuum -- they are repeated over and over, and in the same
context, until many of us tire of them.

Clearly, it is a psychological glitch within my own brain that causes
me to continue to speak to you about your communication skills -- and
that is something that I need to correct in myself.  Interestingly
enough, I am able to advise other people to not get involved; but, like a
bad horror movie, I just can't seem to stay away.

Brian
--
More people use Apache than Word, and it does them more good.
  Kragen Sitaker, Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:32:18 -0800