Subject: Re: Meeting the MS challenge
From: "L. Peter Deutsch" <ghost@aladdin.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 97 07:32 PST

> 	The Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux releases use GNU Taylor UUCP.
> It is true that the configuration files that we ship are in traditional
> ("honeydanber"?) format, which is not discussed in the Linux Bible
> or the uucp texinfo documentation (other than an explicity statement
> in the texinfo documentation to say that these formats are not
> discusssed), but it is certainly described in many general unix books.

And you think this is a reasonable thing for users to have to deal with??

> I do regard this as a bug, but it is not true to say that Taylor UUCP
> is not included in the Yggdrasil Plug and Play Linux distribution.

From a user's -- not a hacker's -- point of view, the fact that the
documentation failed to match the actual file names and formats led me to
the obvious -- but, as I now understand, incorrect -- conclusion that the
software itself was not Taylor UUCP.  I've discussed this in private e-mail
with Ian Taylor.

Think a moment about what you would have concluded or how you would have
felt, as a user of proprietary software that you received as part of an OS
package, if the documentation had failed to match the actual files.

--

L. Peter Deutsch         |       Aladdin Enterprises :::: ghost@aladdin.com
203 Santa Margarita Ave. | tel. +1-650-322-0103 (AM only); fax +1-650-322-1734