Subject: Re: Text of SCO's complaint
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 00:04:40 +0000

on Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 03:52:33PM -0800, Brian Behlendorf (brian@collab.net) wrote:
> > For the complaint, I'll try to pick this apart later, I've only read it
> > topically.  Others don't be shy ;-).   SCO seems to do a lot of alleging
> > of "intellectual property" without specifying just what this property
> > is.  My understanding is that they hold no patents (thanks Don, for that
> > legwork), no trademark (the Open Group controls this, my own TESS (the
> > USPTO's engine sucks) search earlier today turned up "Unix System
> > Laboratories", whoever they are:
> >
> >     http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=7tq0e6.3.56
>
> But they might hold copyright rights, no?

As I said earlier:  based on a cursory read, the IP rights claimed seem
vague at best, and several comments in particular seem to be claims that
there must have been dasterdlies done by IBM 'coz there's no way
GNU/Linux could get that good that fast otherwise.

Which was why I posted *the damned text of the complaint*.

obSlashdot:  How about somebody actually reads the damned thing before
running of yet more at the mouth?

> So, let's assume ...

Let's not.  Let's read and assess basis for the complaint.

Peace.

    In 2002, everyone discovered that everyone else is using Linux.