Subject: Re: Cygnus and proprietary software
From: "Adam J. Richter" <adam@yggdrasil.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 13:25:11 -0800

>> I think that proprietary software from the same sized company tends
>> to face stiffer resistance to adoption.

>Adoption by who?  Home hobbiests?  Or large software companies?

	I think this is generally true for customers who have
any internal technical capabilities, which certainly includes the
the narrow "home hobbiests" and "large software companies" categories
that you mentioned.

>In
>the beginning, tools must be free to sneak in the back door of large
>shops.  Now that Cygnus has a market, they can lock customers in by
>weaving proprietary programs into their mix in a manner that the free
>programs are strongly degraded or dysfunctional without them.

	There are lots of things that any company or person "can" do.
Without more facts, you just have a conspiracy theory.

>[...] I don't trust [Cygnus] anymore.  Programs of the sort that
>attract free labor from the net and require lots of R&D may be free,
>but the attractive, marketable, useful bits will be proprietary.  The
>really successful programs, the ones that are good enough to pay money
>for, will be denied to me.  The free software community can have all
>the rejects, false starts, propellerhead projects, and free staff
>training it wants, while volunteering all the back-office basic
>research.  If Cygnus were truly a free software company, the cream
>would be free, too.  I feel Cygnus used to release the cream for free,
>but they don't any longer.

	You have not cited any evidence of the qualitative differences
that you claim are developing between the free and proprietary software
developed by Cygnus.  Again, you have only a conspiracy theory.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 205
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034
+1 408 261-6630         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
fax +1 408 261-6631      "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."