Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller <>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:11:09 -0500

>I guess Psychology and Social Science people shoud be able to explain
>why economists (and so governments) focus on 10% of the software world
>that are economically essentially irrelevant to the big picture...

Because that's the software visible on shelves at the local retailer. No
one -- other than software developers and IT managers -- thinks about
all those corporate "fill in the forms" programs and whatnot. What
percentage of the population knows what a "PHP" or ".NET" is? Or cares?

My "Point & Click Linux" book is currently Prentice Hall's top-selling
computer title, but its a tiny seller compared to a mediocre thriller
novel or "how to find a man" or "why the other political party scrwed
up" book.

Tomorrow night I'm going to a social/political function. I'll be
surprised if there's even one other person in the room who has ever set
up MySQL as part of a dynamic Web site backend -- unless my buddy Logan
comes, which means there will be two of us, out of 200+ people who will
probably be at this event, which I assure you will be chock-full of
social science people.

- Robin