Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:33:46 +0100

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 10:35 +0800, Ng Pheng Siong wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:52:59PM +0100, Laurent GUERBY wrote:
> > And BTW a totally rational decision in the
> > economic battle of Sun against Microsoft: a very cheap and effective
> > shot at killing Microsoft "cash cow" Office, buy some near abandonware
> > and stick a really free license on it.
>
> I realise this thread is exactly about Sun's not knowing what it is doing,
> but I thought the corporate responsibility of Sun's officers is to increase
> Sun shareholders' value, not attempt to decrease Microsoft shareholders'?

Cost for Sun StarOffice purchase is may be less than 1% of Sun
advertizing budget, and has probably be more effective in helping Sun in
the marketplace mindshare that the 99 remaining percents of said
advertizing budget ("we're the dot in the dot com" anyone :).

And Sun gets some revenue from StarOffice support, it probably
has largely covered acquisition costs by now anyway.

The market value of all software that was destroyed by
Microsoft monopolist practices is zero as proprietary software
but non zero if there's a support market created via a
release as free software: that immediately gains
mind share (replace expensive marketing by /. effect :)
immortality of the code base, end of vendor lock-in, open data format,
new platforms ports, possible in house customizations, cheap and broad
expert base, etc... all those things that everyone is willing to pay
premium for but not available in the proprietary software world.

Laurent